It’s day one in ecommerce
Scalable Labs is a product studio searching for the next paradigm shift in ecommerce. Our mission is to grow ecommerce penetration to 100%.
At the core, we believe:
- In the future, all commerce will be ecommerce. Current ecommerce penetration sits at 20%, but will inevitably grow to 100%.
- The biggest jumps in ecommerce adoption will not come from individual stores, but rather from platforms that unlock entirely new classes of ecommerce.
- There has been very little innovation in ecommerce for the past decade. The last major innovations in ecommerce were the launch of Amazon Prime (2005) and Shopify (2006).
- Though ecommerce is 25 years old, we’re still at the very beginning of figuring it out. Today, ecommerce imitates the offline world — Amazon is the online version of a big box store and Shopify is the online version of a shopping mall. But that isn’t going to get us to 100%.
So what does the future look like?
The obvious stuff:
- More and more offline industries will be digitized. Ecommerce started with simple, consumer products (like books) and is now moving toward complex, business products (like promotional products). Eventually, no industry will be untouched.
- Ecommerce and entertainment will mix. Ecommerce is shifting from a utility to an experience. There’s lots of momentum in Asia (Pinduoduo, Xiaohongshu) and some early progress in the US. We think there’s a lot more opportunity here.
The non-obvious stuff:
- Ecommerce will infiltrate the physical world. We think the most powerful ecommerce ecommerce platforms of the future will involve interaction with the physical world.
- Everyone will be a seller. Shopify has made it easier to be a seller, but it still takes a full-time effort to start selling. If the barrier to selling drops to zero, there will be a lot more sellers.
- Ecommerce stores won’t be stores anymore. Stores are a relic from offline commerce, and in the future, most ecommerce transactions won’t originate from what we know today as stores.
- Scalable Press — B2B marketplace for promotional products
- Chip — zero-ops ecommerce, powered by AI
- Stealth startup — embedded checkout for the physical world
- Raymond Lei — Raymond is the founder at Scalable Labs. He is a serial entrepreneur and founded his first ecommerce company at age 16.
- Eric Zhang — Eric is the CTO at Scalable Labs. Previously, he cofounded Flotype (YC W11) and worked at Amazon and Lever.
- Jim Liszewski — Jim leads Scalable Press. Previously, he cofounded Engine Commerce, a venture-backed ecommerce experience platform, and was General Manager at Shutterfly, where he grew its B2B division from $80 to $200 million.
- Shikhar Mishra — Shikhar leads Chip. Previously, he cofounded Simppler, a venture-backed AI recruiting platform, and managed engineering at Eventbrite.
- Interested in learning more? Talk with Eric and Raymond.